HOLIDAY BUYS: DESIGN BOOKS PART ONE
Christmas day is approaching us so like most of us out there we’re looking around and checking out great designs to add to our wish list. We have a seriously big obsession with design books so the first in our holiday buys posts is dedicated to the book we have and want.
- 100 Contemporary Architects – We have this two book collection and there are some truly amazing buildings in there. Why did we choose this architecture collection? Unlike many other architecture books this one showed not only the more well known architects but it show cased new, up and coming architects too. Find out more here.
- Keel’s Simple Diary – It’s coming to that time of year when we set resolutions and try to keep them. Many of us head down the ‘I’m going to keep a journal’ path but it can be difficult after the first week to find the time to do it. That’s where the Simple Diary from Keel’s comes in. Each page is laid out in such a way that you only need to fill in the blanks for each day. Quite a clever, quirky idea. Find out more here.
- Prefab Houses – One day we’re hoping to build our own dream home, so we’re always on the lookout for great designs and building techniques that we can eventually incorporate into our own home. Prefab is one such technique that we would love to use. To use it makes so much sense to have home built in factories with it’s final assembly done on the land. This book is a definite must have for us as it shows the full history of prefab, the good and bad and of course it’s future. Find out more here.
- Stationery Design Now – With so much of our communication done via the internet these days it’s easy to forget the wonderful feeling you get from being handed a well designed business card or receiving a well branded letter in the post. This book brings back those feelings and may even have you reaching for paper and pen. Find out more here.
- Product Design In The Sustainable Era – Sustainability is at the top of most peoples agendas these days whether you’re designing a coffee cup or a chair, the sustainability of the product plays a high part in the product success, so a book like this can certainly be of benefit. Find out more here.
- The Package Design Book – Just like we’re obsessed with design books, we’re also obsessed with great package design. And yes we have just bought things like water bottles and other food items just because of their packaging. A fantastic book even if you’re not as obsessed as us. Find out more here.
There you have part one of our round up of design books to temp you this holiday season. Stay tuned this week for more holiday design gift ideas.
Images from Taschen.